Michaela Clark from Tradies VA offers specialised advice to the trade industry on technology, outsourcing and online marketing to help save you time, money and stress. Here are Michaela’s tips on using smartphone technology to market your business.
It’s the never-ending challenge facing business owners. You need to market your business but finding the time is well – near impossible! Just imagine if you could market your business, in just 5 minutes a day and from anywhere in the world. Have I got your attention now?
The explosion in smartphone technology is now making marketing easier than ever and yes – you can now market your business from the job site.
So here are 5 easy ways to get started:
1. YouTube & Video Marketing
Video marketing is one of the easiest and best ways to market your business. Did you know there are over 6 billion hours of video watched every month on YouTube? And it is also the second biggest search engine next to Google (who own YouTube)!
So what kind of videos can you record while on the road? Just about anything really:
- Examples of poor workmanship
- Signs and problems customers should look out for
- When customers have left a problem too long
- ‘How-To’ videos
- ‘Before and After’ videos
- Examples of your work
- Staff interviews
Remember to optimise your video title and description with keywords, and make sure you place your website address at the top of your description box. Also share the link to your videos on your website as an article or blog post – in addition to social media sites and newsletters. Google will index your YouTube video, which benefits your search ranking and will drive a whole new audience to your website.
2. Customer referral sites
Customer referral sites can be a great way to get new leads and grow your business. Push notifications and emails to your phone will let you know as soon as new leads are available, enabling you to respond quickly increasing your chances of winning the quote.
3. Social Media
Live it or loathe it – social media is here to stay. Using the likes of Facebook and other social platforms is a cost effective way to grow your audience and customer base but there are a few strategies you need to put in place, otherwise it can be a waste of time.
One of those is consistency. Being able to add status updates, photos and videos on the road is a great way to keep your social media up to date and working for your business. Just one update a day can make all the difference.
Remember just taking a quick snap of a job or project done well by your team is all it takes.
4. Creating a memorable customer experience
Just making some small changes to the way you deal with customers can be all you need to stay ahead of your competitors.
- Ensure you have all the relevant job information on hand in a cloud based job management system, which allows you to complete the job in an accurate and timely matter. Nothing is as powerful as having all the information you need in the palm of your hand anywhere, anytime.
- Text your customer if you are running late or to confirm their appointment times
- Use Google Maps as your GPS so you know your travel times and routes, avoiding getting lost and being just another tradie that is late to a job.
- Call the customer to follow up on the job or the quote, sometimes nothing beats a quick phone call! Sadly it seems to be such a rare occurrence these days so that little extra touch will be remembered. Don’t forget that the cheapest and most effective marketing strategy is word of mouth and social proof and those little touches can make all the difference.
5. On site quoting
So it’s not marketing as you would traditionally think of it, but on site quoting is a great way to ensure your marketing effort isn’t wasted.
Get the wow factor and convert more leads into sales by sending customers instant electronic quotes while you are still onsite.
You can add photos, videos and drawings to customise electronic quotes easy. While you’re there, secure the job by getting their onscreen signatures for the work to proceed. Convenient, easy and hassle free for everyone.
And there you have it. Quick, simple and no cost marketing methods that any tradie can implement TODAY. So get that phone out of your pocket and get started!